KNEE-HIP ORTHOSIS WITH JOINT MOBILITY REGULATION
Flaccid paralysis and paresis
Lack of nerve stimuli to the muscles causes paresis and flaccid paralysis and deep sensory disorders. The reasons for this can be inflammation (poliomyelitis), injuries (compression or fracture of the spine), toxins (alcohol, diabetes) and degenerative diseases (atrophia spinalis).
Reduction of muscle tone (flaccid muscles, not offering any resistance to passive movement) is normal for peripheral paresis, i.e. for damage to peripheral nerves and muscles. Dysfunction of peripheral nerves and muscles, in addition to flaccid paresis, is also characterized by rapid and large muscle atrophy (so-called denervation).
- Flaccid paralysis and paresis
- For patients who have problems with stabilization of the lower limbs and proper functioning of the muscles
In the case of bilateral supply, the orthosis can be used in the following cases:
- flaccid paraparesis
- muscular dystrophy, with preserved function of the upper limbs that can be used for support purposes
- spinal muscular atrophy,
In the case of one-sided supply, the orthosis can be used in the following cases:
- paresis of the lower limbs – during the period of learning to walk and verticalize,
- degenerative changes and severe instability of the knee joint,
- the need for immobilization and rehabilitation of patients after extensive knee joint procedures for traumatic reasons (intra-articular fractures, reconstruction of cruciate ligaments) and diseases (partial or total alloplasty),
- patients treated for neurological and orthopaedic reasons,
- the need to properly position the hip during verticalization and learning to walk,
- prevention and treatment of knee and hip contractures caused by degenerative changes or paresis.
- The orthosis consists of a soft hip basket and a modular device of the lower limb,
- made of Active Distance and ActivDistance II raw material,
- Active Distance has a spatial, inflexible, soft structure with excellent relieving properties. The advantage of this raw material is the double-sided adhesion, allowing for circumferential regulation of the product,
- This raw material was used to make a soft hip basket, equipped with a circumferential adjustment mechanism, which made the product much more versatile.
- The hip basket has circumferential belts, a hip splint with adjustable length and a soft side pelote,
- The hip splint is equipped with a clock with adjustable flexion angle and extension of the joint every 15 degrees.
- Uniaxial orthopedic splint 1RE, which has adjustable bending angle every 15 degrees and extension adjustment in the range: -15 and -30 degrees.
- These rails are characterized by excellent lateral stabilization and very low weight.
- The clock is constructed in such a way that the change of the angle of bending and extension takes place without the use of any tools, and an additional protection system prevents the change of angle by unauthorized persons,
- The rails are made of high quality aluminum alloy and plastic with the addition of carbon fibers, thanks to which they are lightweight, neutral to the patient’s sweat and salt contained in it, and at the same time are rigid enough to guarantee the proper operation of the product,
- the second material used to construct the OKD-14 orthosis is the ACTIVdistance II raw material, from which the lower limb modular braces were made. The strength of this material is that on the one hand it has a self-adhesive function, and on the other a soft cotton lining, neutral to human skin,
- The modular braces of the lower limb are made of plastic pads, side orthopedic splints and soft sleeves of the thigh and lower leg, the inner lining of which is made of 100% cotton,
- The modular braces are equipped with six circumferential belts, and orthopedic splints with 2R or 1RE clocks.
- The 2R polycentric clock has joint mobility regulation in the range of 20 degrees, while the 1RE every 15. Each of these clocks can be locked at the selected bending angle. Each of them also has a function of locking a given setting against accidental or unauthorized change.
- The raw materials from which the product is made are soft raw materials, but inflexible, which makes them ideal for the construction of products in which the function of joint flexion control and the function of full blockade during verticalization is very important.
- The materials, due to their rigidity, do not stretch, which makes the patient feel very confident in the product, products made of these materials successfully replace plastic scales for verticalization, but do not cause bedsores, abrasions and damage to the epidermis.
- It perfectly supports, stabilizes and relieves the knee and hip joints, allows you to control the increase in the range of flexion and extension motion in these joints and ensures their postoperative control,
- The orthosis ensures the correct positioning of the hip during verticalization and learning to walk and control the flexion of the knee joint, prevents and facilitates the treatment of contractures,
- It easily adapts to the body even in people with different thigh and lower leg circumferences or with a significant thickening of the contours of the knee joint,
- As a standard, the orthosis is available as a one-sided supply, however, at the patient’s request, it can be made as a two-sided supply,
- Improved comfort of use thanks to the use of terry knitted fabric inside the orthosis.